Digital Accessibility QA/Tester - WCAG and ARIA
The AES Group
Role: Digital Accessibility QA/Tester - WCAG and ARIA
Location: Remote PST
Duration: 12+ months
Digital accessibility QA/Tester, needs to have strong accessibility testing knowledge, communication and interpersonal skills, deep functional and technical knowledge of accessibility requirements and implementation best practices. This role focuses on continuous process improvement through effective collaboration with functions across Client Technology.
As a digital accessibility QA/Tester, you will:
• Identify and manage in-release accessibility testing with internal and external teams
• Lead annual accessibility audits of website, web app and mobile native apps and work with teams to remediate and validate reported issues.
• Advocate and participate in issue prioritization and triage
Summary of Key Responsibilities
Responsibilities and essential job functions include but are not limited to the following:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Business, or relevant field
• Strong understanding of WCAG and ARIA specification as well as knowledge of U.S. and international digital accessibility laws and standards.
• 3+ years of experience with evaluating and testing websites, web applications and mobile native applications for digital accessibility conformance
• Detailed knowledge of a broad range of technologies:
• Accessibility on various platforms including Windows and MacOS
• Mobile accessibility on various platforms including Android and IOS
• ARIA specification
• Video and other digital media
• PDF and other document standards
• Strong knowledge of manual and automated accessibility testing tools and resources (axe, Wave, color/contrast)
• Knowledge of testing best practices and approaches for custom developed and consumer off-the-shelf packaged applications digital products
• Knowledge of test management processes, both functional and non-functional test planning and execution, version control and defect tracking methods using associated tools
• Hands On knowledge of Assistive Technology (e. g screen readers, magnifiers, alternative input, etc.)
• Knowledge of technologies including but not limited to: (Familiarity of these languages/specifications are nice to have but not mandatory)
• HTML 4 and 5
• CSS 2 and 3
• React and React Native
• Familiarity with Figma (or other design and prototyping platform), Jira, Miro, Confluence.
• Ability to guide and coach colleagues and clients in one on one, small group, or large forum environments
• Detailed and results-oriented, able to analyze data to justify accessibility decisions and apply key learnings.
• Ability to apply knowledge of business principles and practices to achieve successful outcomes in cross-functional projects and activities
• Experience working with Voluntary Product Accessibility Templates (VPATs) is a plus
• Strong verbal and written communications skills
• Consistently uses communications skills to influence outcomes within a known skill set
• Ability to balance multiple priorities and meet deadlines with great attention to detail
Product Definition & Value
• Responsible for determining business needs, understanding market demands and accessibility/inclusivity trends, problem solving and proposing solutions.
• Align with business partners to balance business and accessibility objectives and manifest these as clear, stable priorities for the team.
• Manage product planning through day-to-day collaboration and decision making with a cross-functional team including UX Design, engineers, QA, and business partners.
• Define and refine accessibility health and performance metrics
• Create dashboard/reporting requirements and KPIs to measure accessibility performance, keeping issues and tickets up to date
• Identify opportunities to improve accessibility and usability performance using data.
Communication and Collaboration
• Develop and maintain centralized digital accessibility resources for internal digital teams.
• Serve as a subject matter expert for digital accessibility laws, standards, and guidelines.
• Lead digital accessibility QA program meetings to share best practices across multiple teams.
• Interact directly with business stakeholders to understand business problems
• Present options/recommendations clearly and persuasively to support business stakeholder decisions
• Work with UX Design and engineering teams to understand, prioritize and document accessibility requirements.
Product Planning & Delivery
• Consult on new tools and processes to enable adherence to accessibility guidelines.
• Integrate accessibility into iterative, agile development process
• Identify and document accessibility tradeoffs as well as dependencies and constraints
• Perform validation of feature against stated goals; facilitate and/or perform user review/acceptance testing
• Manage execution and eliminate blocking issues during development
• Effective communication of accessibility delivery milestones and progress
• Support accessibility roadmap creation on future initiatives.
We’d love to hear from people with:
• Digital accessibility and assistive technology experience
• Creativity and willingness to question how we can do things better
• A passion for ensuring accessibility and inclusivity for all