Senior Test Engineer (Hybrid or Remote)
We are hiring a Senior Test Engineer on the SAS Accessibility Team. Come join a team where we make the world's most powerful analytics system accessible to all people. Our work covers everything from making the analytics lifecycle accessible for data scientists, to producing accessible reports and data visualizations to be shared with others, to creating groundbreaking technology to allow people with visual impairments to fully engage with rich and interactive data visualizations. A senior member of the team who has previously worked on the accessibility of hundreds of websites of all kinds recently reflected that, "The work we do here is by far the most interesting work I've done in my 16 year accessibility career." Want to join us?
Information from the job posting.
You may work from a remote location in the eastern US region for this role. Or, you may join us at SAS Worldwide HQ in Cary, NC
Are you a problem solver, explorer, and knowledge seeker – always asking, “What if?” Would you like to use your technical skills and creativity to make a positive impact on humanity? Do you believe everyone should have equal access to data, analytics and the quantitative skills that are essential for success in the twenty-first century knowledge economy? Are you searching for challenging technical work that provides meaning and fulfillment?
If so, we have an amazing opportunity for you. Because at SAS, your curiosity matters – whether you’re developing algorithms, creating customer experiences or answering critical questions. Curiosity is our code, and the opportunities here are endless.
What we do
The mission of the SAS accessibility team is to enable people of all abilities, including people with disabilities, to access the power of analytics. We do that in two main ways. First, we support product teams in their agile development processes as they create accessible, rich-interactive Web applications. SAS sells more than 200 products that are used by more than 83,000 organizations to solve mission critical business problems. We create systems that enable product teams to incorporate accessibility into their development processes. Second, we create innovative accessibility technology that enables people with disabilities to access data, data visualization, and analytics using alternative methods. For example, our data visualization technology enables people with total blindness to interactively explore data visualizations, geospatial maps, and node-link diagrams using 3D spatial audio.
What you’ll do
We’re looking for a Senior Test Engineer to join the SAS accessibility team. You will perform accessibility tests on SAS products, provide solutions to accessibility problems, and grow the accessibility testing capacity of product teams.
* Create VPATs for SAS products and publish them on the SAS Disability Support Center.
* Provide leadership in the VPAT creation process both for our team’s internal processes and as we build more capacity in teams for accessible development, testing, and documentation.
* Mentor other accessibility testers on our team to help them grow in their ability to perform accessibility tests.
* Assist in defining manual accessibility testing processes that are robust and repeatable, yet approachable to people without accessibility expertise.
* Assist in improving our internally developed testing tools, both manual and automated, to be more effective and usable by product teams.
* Contribute to interpreting WCAG 2.1 requirements as they apply to complex, rich-interactive Web applications.
* Consult with product teams on accessibility questions as they arise and recommend corrective actions.
* Train others in accessibility testing techniques.
* Test applications developed by our team to support accessible data visualizations.
What we’re looking for:
* You’re curious, passionate, authentic, and accountable. These are our values and influence everything we do.
* Excellent interpersonal communication skills.
* A strong desire and ability to work effectively within a cross-functional team to meet shared goals.
* 8+ years of experience developing or testing large complex software products.
* You’re curious, passionate, authentic and accountable. These are our values and influence everything we do.
The nice to haves
* Proficiency using assistive technologies in accessibility testing for both desktop and mobile Web content, especially screen readers.
* Experience with Dragon Naturally Speaking, screen magnification software, and other non-screen reader assistive technologies.
* Proficiency with automated accessibility testing tools, such as axe DevTools.
* Thorough working knowledge of the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) and the Accessible Rich Internet Applications (ARIA) specification and the ability to apply these requirements to a wide range of content.
* Experience testing large complex software products for accessibility compliance, using both automated and manual testing techniques.
* Experience creating VPATs.
* Familiarity with the WAI-ARIA Authoring Practices.
* Experience with accessibility in devops.
* Experience with automated testing frameworks and writing functional UI tests in Gherkin-style syntax.
* Experience with PDF accessibility evaluation and remediation.
Other knowledge, skills, and abilities
* Excellent interpersonal communication skills
* Ability to work effectively within cross-functional teams.
* We love living the #SASlife and believe that happy, healthy people have a passion for life, and bring that energy to work. No matter what your specialty or where you are in the world, your unique contributions will make a difference.
* Our multi-dimensional culture blends our different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. Here, it isn’t about fitting into our culture, it’s about adding to it - and we can’t wait to see what you’ll bring.
To qualify, applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States, and should not require, now or in the future, sponsorship for employment visa status. SAS is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. Read more: Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law. Also view the supplement EEO is the Law, and the Pay Transparency notice.
Equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered in place of the above qualifications. The level of this position will be determined based on the applicant's education, skills and experience. Resumes may be considered in the order they are received. SAS employees performing certain job functions may require access to technology or software subject to export or import regulations. To comply with these regulations, SAS may obtain nationality or citizenship information from applicants for employment. SAS collects this information solely for trade law compliance purposes and does not use it to discriminate unfairly in the hiring process.