Senior Accessibility Specialist
Government Digital Service
The White Chapel Building, 10 Whitechapel High St, London E1 8QS
About the job
The Government Digital Service (GDS) is part of the Cabinet Office. We lead the digital transformation of the UK government so that it works better for everyone. Our work is user-focused, dynamic and forward-looking, making our organisation an exciting and innovative place to work.
Find out more at the GDS Blog
You’ll play a key role in delivering GDS’s legal obligation to monitor web accessibility across the public sector. Helping shape the process and select the tools that the team will use, and will conduct accessibility audits against WCAG2.1, identifying areas of non-compliance and recommending corrective action.
As a Senior Accessibility Specialist at GDS you will:
• review public sector websites for accessibility best practices and conformance with accessibility standards using a range of techniques including design reviews, automated testing and manual inspection
• provide insight and advice on accessibility evaluation techniques to empower people to do it themselves
• write accessibility guidance and documentation, and share accessibility knowledge with GDS delivery teams and the cross-government accessibility community
**For further information about what you'll do as a Senior Accessibility Specialist please click on the apply button**
We're interested in people who:
• have expert knowledge of existing and emerging web and mobile app accessibility guidelines and standards, particularly the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) version 2.1
• can evaluate the accessibility of digital websites and provide feedback, advice, and solutions to help fix identified issues
• understand and have experience testing with a range of assistive technologies including customised browser settings, screen magnification, screen readers, speech recognition and literacy software
• are able to deliver accessibility training and presentations, and write accessibility guidance and documentation
**For further information about what we are looking for please click on the apply link**
• Learning and development tailored to your role
•An environment with flexible working options
• A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
• A Civil Service pension
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is security check.
Selection process details
Our assessment is based on the Civil Service Success Profiles framework, and we start with gathering evidence that candidates have the experience and the skills required for the role.
We will inform you when your application is shortlisted, and, depending on the role, we may schedule remote or in-person assessments for the next stage.
We receive many applications, and unfortunately we’re not able to provide feedback for candidates who aren’t shortlisted.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Open to UK nationals only.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equality of opportunity. There is a guaranteed interview scheme (GIS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Apply and further information
Once this job has closed, the job advert will no longer be available. You may want to save a copy for your records.
Contact point for applicants
Job contact :
Name : GDS Recruitment Team
Email : email@example.com
Recruitment team :
Email : GDS Recruitment Team
Apply at advertiser's site