Director of Digital Inclusion Innovation
American Foundation for the Blind
Arlington, Virginia,UNITED STATES
Reporting to the Chief Technology Officer, the Director of Digital Inclusion and Innovation will be responsible for providing leadership and direction to advance AFB’s state-of-the-art digital inclusion initiatives as the lead subject matter expert and senior advisor for key programs, including the AFB Talent Lab and other cross-organizational efforts. This is a full-time remote position.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Construct and execute a vision for driving digital inclusion efforts within AFB by serving as the subject matter expert for the design, development, and implementation of the AFB Talent Lab, including the system architecture, educational framework, and related tools, and supporting other digital inclusion initiatives across the organization.
2. Contribute to the development of educational materials in close collaboration with the Program and Curriculum Manager for the AFB Talent Lab, other related AFB programs, such as Blind Leaders, and formal research initiatives related to digital inclusion. Serve as a digital inclusion subject mentor for AFB staff and program participants.
3. Expand AFB's presence, expertise and leadership in the field of digital inclusion by driving innovation, creation and implementation of resources and tools for the served community to be published by AFB. This may include online courses for developers, video tutorials demonstrating best practices, code repositories with detailed examples and other open source community contributions. Participate in relevant professional guidance and standards bodies such as W3C, ACM and IAAP, representing and positioning AFB as a thought leader.
4. Direct the AFB Talent Lab's consulting project delivery team, ensuring quality assurance of all consulting project work and related deliverables as well as operational efficiency and effectiveness as an educational tool for program participants. In collaboration with the Chief Technology Officer and Business Development Lead, identify and scope appropriate consulting projects that align with the available resources and level of complexity.
5. Develop tools and processes to ensure team efficiency, consistency, effectiveness and scalability. Train and assign work to accessibility engineers, apprentices, and interns. Ensure software and web development best practices are followed and conduct code reviews to ensure quality. Ensure deadlines are met, including operational reporting with associated documentation, and overall goals are achieved.
6. Collaborate with staff leads on the preparation and monitoring of annual budgets for AFB Talent Lab and web development projects. Research service alternatives, obtain competitive bids, and assist in contract negotiations to ensure the most efficient and economical production environment. Review vendor invoices and analyze budget variances.
7. Supervise departmental staff, adhering to AFB’s personnel policies and practices when recruiting new employees and orienting new employees to AFB and their responsibilities. Communicate expectations, policies, information, goals, mission, and strategy; support staff in areas of job responsibilities, problem resolution, and benefits; identify professional development opportunities for staff; ensure policies and procedure compliance; address areas requiring improvement and opportunities for rewards and recognition.
8. Perform other duties and special projects as assigned.
Must embrace and role model AFB’s mission and Core Values of Learning, Excellence, Collaboration, and Impact.
Demonstrate Key Values & Competencies Including:
Integrity & Respect
Job Excellence & Impact
Desire to Serve
Compensation: Salary based on experience, market analysis and location.