East Providence, RI,UNITED STATES
Accessibility Specialist (REMOTE)
(add)ventures is actively recruiting for an Accessibility Specialist to work as part of our Digital Team. This Accessibility Specialist will be responsible for ensuring accessibility of various digital items: websites, landing pages, emails and documents. They will contribute throughout the design, engineering and QA phases for multiple website development projects.
This role will work with our team of designers, copywriters, digital project managers, software engineers and quality assurance specialists throughout the lifecycle of a project to ensure successful delivery of accessible digital products. Ideal candidates will have a passion for A11y and inclusive design and thrive on creating useful and usable experiences for all.
Our accessibility specialist will:
- Work with client stakeholders to define unique A11y requirements
- Participate in the design process (collaborating with UI, UX and content writers) to advise on accessible design decisions and how they impact/satisfy acceptance criteria
- Collaborate with engineers to ensure front-end best practices through code recommendations and/or documentation
- Triage and prioritize accessibility issues and provide guidance for remediation
- Perform accessibility audits of web pages/sites using accessibility testing tools, assistive technology products and manual testing
- Provide ongoing training and guidance to the team that builds accessible documents in Google Docs and Slides, Word, PowerPoint and PDF. In unique cases, may need to assist them with document remediation.
- Write up audit reports, describing accessibility issues and recommendations for resolving them
- Demonstrate attention to detail in performing manual testing and logging of issues
- Identify opportunities for improving accessibility processes and documentation, including sharing a11y knowledge with others
- Allocate and coordinate the work of accessibility contractors
- Update our current training documentation as WCAG standards evolve and lead 1:1 and small group training sessions with designers, copywriters and engineers
- Keep up to date with latest developments in the field of accessibility and related standards
Qualified candidates will have:
- 5+ years of A11y experience in digital or information technology projects
- A bachelor’s degree in Digital Media, Information Technology, Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- Ability to interpret and advise on accessibility standards, principles, techniques, and best practices - especially Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG 2.1 AA) with a basic awareness of WCAG 2.2.
- Experience using assistive technology including screen reader technologies (e.g. JAWS, NVDA, MAC/IOS VoiceOver, TalkBack), magnification tools, read-aloud tools and keyboard testing
- Have working knowledge with the user requirements of people with disabilities and older users, with regard to accessibility of the web
- Outstanding communication, organization, problem solving and time-management skills
Our culture rewards:
- Energy, creativity and enthusiasm
- Ability to work autonomously or in groups
- Team based leadership
- A good sense of humor
- A passionate commitment to serve clients, co-workers and community
- Loyalty and integrity
We are open to a flexible, hybrid office / work from home arrangement or 100% remote arrangement with occasional travel to our HQ in Rhode Island.
To help ensure a safe working environment for (add)venturists and their families along with our clients and contractors, at the current time, all people who come in our office are required to have achieved an Up-to-Date vaccination status against the COVID-19 virus. If you are vaccinated but not boosted, you will be required to wear an N-95 mask while on (add)ventures' premises.
(add)ventures is a multidisciplinary brand culture and communications firm. With offices in Miami, New York and East Providence, (add)ventures has been exceeding the branding goals of industry leading client partners for more than 25 years. We provide the following strategic and creative services: marketing, insights & analytics, design, video & animation, digital services and content creation. Our team is NICE – we’re nurturers with intelligence, character and energy. We solve problems, we make people happy, we love what we do and we love who we do it with.
Sorry, no relocation available. We are an EEO/Affirmative Action employer.