Web Accessibility Specialist
Nelnet is a diversified and innovative company committed to enriching lives through the power of service as a student loan servicer, professional services company, consumer loan originator and servicer, payments processor, and K-12 and higher education expert. For over 40 years, Nelnet has been serving its customers, associates, and communities.
The perks of working at Nelnet go beyond our benefits package. When you join the Nelnet team, you're part of a community invested in the success of each individual. That support comes through in our work, as we are united by our mission of creating opportunities for people where they live, learn, and work.
Responsible for developing enterprise wide cross-functional software solutions, working closely with IT Software Architects and IT Business Analysts technical teams.
This position requires work in support of the Company’s contract with the United States Department of Education (“ED”). As such, the United States Government requires that any applicant for this position must complete United States Government security clearance. Effective June 1, 2018, ED has informed Nelnet that security clearance applications for foreign nationals are not being accepted or processed. In light of this direction from ED, Nelnet will be unable to hire applicants without United States citizenship for such positions.
Compensation range for this position is $53,000-$105,000.
1 .Evaluate web applications and documents for accessibility, using a combination of automated, manual, and functional testing techniques, including the use of assistive technology.
2. Support development teams and content creators to implement best practices and identify potential accessibility issues in the artifacts they produce.
3. Adhere to Best Practices and Standards in the areas of technology and accessibility.
4. Remediate documents, typically PDFs, to ensure a high level of accessibility.
5. Keep abreast of advancements and changes in the field of accessibility and develop an understanding of how new techniques impact accessibility.
EDUCATION: BS / MS in Computer Science or related discipline or equivalent experience
Minimum 3 years of experience in software development (e.g. developer, business analyst, quality assurance).
Minimum 1 year of experience in the field of accessibility.
COMPETENCIES – SKILLS/KNOWLEDGE/ABILITIES:
1 .Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.1.
2. Disability law, as it applies to digital accessibility, and Section 504/508.
4. Universal and inclusive design principles.
5. Best practices for accessible websites and applications. (Experience with mobile a plus.)
6. PDF accessibility. (Experience with Acrobat, LiveCycle/AEM, and/or Equidox remediation are a plus.)
7. Common accessibility evaluation tools, e.g. aXe and WAVE.
8. Experience using assistive technology to evaluate functional accessibility. (Especially screen readers such as NVDA, JAWS, VoiceOver, or TalkBack, and keyboard-only testing. Experience with Dragon NaturallySpeaking and ZoomText are a plus.)
9. Demonstrated effective performance in a team-oriented environment.
10- Knowledge of the full software development lifecycle; with exposure to agile or iterative approaches to delivery preferred.
11. Accessibility auditing, consulting, and training.
12. Will require consultant work with external entities.
13. US Citizen with ability to obtain federal security clearance.
Our benefits package includes medical, dental, vision, HSA and FSA, generous earned time off, 401K/student loan repayment, life insurance & AD&D insurance, employee assistance program, employee stock purchase program, tuition reimbursement, performance-based incentive pay, short- and long-term disability, and a robust wellness program. Click here to learn more about our benefits:
Nelnet is an Equal Opportunity Employer, complies with Executive Order 11246, and takes affirmative action to ensure that qualified applicants are employed, and that employees are treated during employment, without regard to race, color, religion/creed, national origin, gender, or sex, marital status, age, disability, use of a guide dog or service animal, sexual orientation, military/veteran status, or any other status protected by Federal or State law or local ordinance.
Qualified individuals with disabilities who require reasonable accommodations in order to apply or compete for positions at Nelnet may request such accommodations by contacting Corporate Recruiting at 402-486-5725 or
Nelnet is a Drug Free and Tobacco Free Workplace.