Web Accessibility Specialist Trainee
Tasks the role will be performing:
Will perform extensive accessibility analysis and create documentation for new or existing projects that will involve:
● Working independently or with others to assess web pages and documents (i.e., PDF) for conformance to established web accessibility standards (in particular WCAG 2.1 AA).
● Using screen readers in various browsers and on various device emulators to test the accessibility and usability of websites and digital products.
● Developing detailed reports explaining accessibility defects identified through an audit and suggest remediation methods/techniques.
● Reviewing results of assessment with internal project team members and management. Answering questions regarding testing methods and interpretation of the results.
● Creating comprehensive accessibility documentation for use by developers.
● Providing accessibility feedback to projects and form designs.
● Performing administrative tasks as needed.
● Contributing creative solutions to improving internal processes, tools, and methods.
Requirements for the position:
● Must be willing to perform Web Accessibility Audits using assistive and automated technologies. This may include using: WAVE from WebAIM, JAWS, NVDA, ZoomText, Dragon Naturally Speaking, Adobe Acrobat, and Microsoft Accessibility Checker
● Must be willing to perform Accessibility Audits against Digital Documents (e.g., PDF, Word, etc…)
● Must be willing to understand and follow Section 508 and Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI) guidelines and specifications–W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG 2.0 A and AA), Accessible Rich Internet Applications (ARIA), User Agent Accessibility Guidelines (UAAG), and Authoring Tool Accessibility Guidelines (ATAG)
● Must be interested in making a difference in the lives of millions around the world by providing access to information through digital products.
● Must be willing to learn daily, willing to fail often (and own it!), willing to ask questions, and willing to strive for improvement continuously. Perfect people need not apply.
● Must have experience in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
● Must have experience in Adobe Tools (PDF)
● Prefer some experience in using G Suite (Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, Drive…)
● Prefer some experience in developing technical documentation
● Prefer some experience in UI Accessibility testing
This is an entry-level position with opportunity for advancement and will report to the Chief Technology Officer.