Digital Engineering Accessibility Dev
Cumberland, RI/Boston, MA/Scottsdale, AZ/Northbrook, IL/,USA
A11y Engineer – Dev. is responsible for supporting and equipping our Product Design and Engineering teams to ensure successful delivery of our accessible digital products. This person will be supporting all aspects of integrating accessibility into design and deployment:
• Partner with Accessibility Design team in building A11y into Product Design by:
o helping understand how users experience products using Assistive Technology
o participating in and contribute in Accessible Design Decisions
o identifying how design intent affects A11y AC (Acceptance Criteria)
• Partner with Engineering teams during development ensuring A11y AC is being met by:
o ensuring feature functionality has A11y AC written / available
o helping engineers understand the A11y AC.
o answering technical how-to questions for A11y in Web, IOS & Android development.
o helping engineers test and validate A11y AC.
• Support 3rd-Party Audits by:
o reviewing 3rd-Party findings, test results
o re-test, verify reported findings if reported issue is questionable
o create A11y user stories, defects for A11y findings
o help triage, prioritize A11y issues with product and provide A11y context, guidance on how to remediate A11y findings.
• Analyze validation test results looking for
o training opportunities
o engineering methods needing correction
o components needing a11y refinements
o processes lacking appropriate a11y support.
• Attend relevant stand-ups and status meetings.
• Bring a depth of development and technical knowledge that complements and strengthens a culture beginning to apply a11y practices in design, engineering and QA.
• Apply accessibility knowledge to a wide range of client digital properties including but not limited to responsive websites, mobile applications, hybrids and digital documents.
• Stay up-to-date on current and existing trends in the accessibility space.
• Partner with Design A11y, Design System teams and Engineering A11y Leads to develop, promote the adoption and integration of accessibility policies, procedures, and standards.
7+ years of relivant work experience including:
• Ability to think from an end-user perspective
• Commitment to meeting high expectations of end users
• Solid experience testing with all common screen readers (JAWS, NVDA, MAC/IOS VoiceOver, TalkBack), keyboard only, and other assistive technology.
• Ability to interpret and advise on standards, principles and techniques for meeting accessibility success criteria (including WCAG 2.0 AA, WCAG 2.1 AA, and WAI-ARIA)
• Ability to partner with various cross-functional teams for direction and consistency
• Providing leadership when necessary
• Excellent organizational and communication skills
• Familiarity with Responsive Web Design and mobile apps
• Fluency in the software development lifecycle
• Strong understanding of supporting products in a SAFe environment specifically how current/future work is scheduled to come through planning, design, engineering and 3rd-party validation efforts
• Knowledge of Rally, Teams, Confluence and other cooperation tools
• Ability to train and coach colleagues on various accessibility topics
• Ability to promote and share the importance of accessibility
• Understanding the overlap between user experience and accessibility
• Ability to analyze (Android, iOS, web) code and employ problem-solving skills to recommend best solution
• Knowledge of mobile accessibility best practices on Android and iOS
Bachelors and min. 7 years experience in the Accessibility space.
It’s a new day in health care.