Digital Accessibility Specialist
Full time, 3 days a week together out of either our Bristol, Manchester or Birmingham Digital Hubs (flexible 2 days remote wherever).
Why this Job Matters?
This position sits within the Consumer arm of BT, which is the largest provider of consumer mobile and fixed communication services in the UK, with over 25 million subscribers, and more than 450 stores on the high street. Three brands sit under BT’s Consumer division: the flagship Consumer brand is EE, together with BT and Plusnet. All working in harmony to provide broadband, home phone, mobile, gaming, TV and entertainment services.
Our Accessibility team is small but very focused, efficient, and making an impact. We recently won a Digital Impact Gold Award for our work. By joining our team, you will have the opportunity to define and introduce new concepts of Digital Accessibility.
We are looking for someone comfortable working in a high-speed environment, where designs and requirements evolve quickly.
You must have excellent interpersonal skills and a strong team spirit. You will be working collaboratively with User Researchers, Product Owners, Business Analysts, Product and Content Designers, Engineers, and Testers.
What are your accountabilities?
• Helping all our squads prevent and fix accessibility issues by following our engagement and sign-off process
• Identifying and documenting accessibility issues promptly in our mobile app. You are expected to describe the issues, their impact on customers, and how they refer to WCAG unequivocally, including how to replicate them and test for fixes
• Building relationships amongst stakeholders to foster support for Digital Accessibility
• Working as a good team member, supporting colleagues, and sharing knowledge
• Providing advice on design components and coding, to ensure compliance with WCAG 2.2 at level AA as a minimum.
• Exploring ways to implement Universal Design Principles earlier on
• Verifying the Accessibility level of new journeys before going live
• Producing documentation and communication on effort and progress
Essential Experience and Knowledge:
• Good practical knowledge of WCAG 2.2 and WAI-ARIA
• Good practical knowledge of Universal Design principles
• Experience working with mobile applications
• Experience using screen readers and other assistive technology
• Experience working with Design Systems
• Jira ticket management
• Experience working with Agile Methodology
• Experience working in a large organisation, preferably in e-commerce
Desirable Experience and Knowledge:
• React Development
• Flutter Development
• Experience working with Deque Tools or other similar tools
Qualities we are looking for:
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively
• Strong organisational and time management skills
• Strong team-player
• Enthusiasm towards helping everyone building the best digital experience for all our customers
• Comfortable dealing with ambiguity
• Transparency and Accountability
• Strong commitment towards Digital Accessibility
• Comfortable with switching context often
• Competitive salary
• 25 days annual leave (plus bank holidays)
• 10% on target bonus
• Life Assurance
• Pension scheme
• Direct share scheme
• Option to join the Healthcare Cash Plan or other benefits such as dental insurance, gym memberships etc.
• 50% off EE mobile pay monthly or SIM only plans
• Exclusive colleague discounts on our latest and greatest BT broadband packages
• BT TV with TNT Sports and NOW Entertainment
• 50% discount for friends and family on EE SIM Only plans & airtime element off a Flex Pay plan
How to Apply
It's easy to apply online; you just need a copy of your up-to-date CV and to follow the step-by step process. Don't worry if you need to make changes - you'll have the opportunity to review and edit your work on the final page. We look forward to receiving your application!
BT is part of BT Group, along with EE, Openreach, and Plusnet.
Millions of people rely on us every day to help them live their lives, power their businesses, and keep their public services running. We connect friends to family, clients to colleagues, people to possibilities. We keep the wheels of business spinning, and the emergency services responding.
We value diversity and celebrate difference. As Philip Jansen, our CEO, says ‘We embed diversity and inclusion into everything that we do. It’s fundamental to our purpose: we connect for good.’
We all stick to the same values: Personal, Simple, and Brilliant. From day one, you’ll get stuck in to tough challenges, pitch in with ideas, make things happen. But you won’t be alone: we’ll be there with help and support, learning and development.
This is your chance to make a real difference to the world: to be part of the digital transformation of countless lives and businesses. Grab it.
A FEW POINTS TO NOTE:
Although these roles are listed as full-time, if you’re a job share partnership, work reduced hours, or any other way of working flexibly, please still get in touch.
DON'T MEET EVERY SINGLE REQUIREMENT?
Studies have shown that women and people who are disabled, LGBTQ+, neurodiverse or from ethnic minority backgrounds are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet every single qualification and criteria. We're committed to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace where everyone can be their best, so if you're excited about this role but your past experience doesn't align perfectly with every requirement on the Job Description, please apply anyway - you may just be the right candidate for this or other roles in our wider team.