Accessibility Program Manager, AWS Accessibility
Amazon Web Services
Amazon Web Services (AWS), a subsidiary of Amazon.com, is the world’s most comprehensive and broadly adopted cloud platform, offering over 200 fully featured services from data centers globally. The AWS UX Products and Platform team is responsible for user experience of products that enable customers to manage their applications and infrastructure on AWS. Today, the team is responsible for multiple products such as AWS Web-Based Management Console, AWS Console Mobile App, AWS Chatbot, as well as the platform services used by 200+ AWS service teams to develop and deliver their user experiences.
At Amazon Web Services (AWS), our philosophy is that everyone should be able to access and enjoy the benefits of our cloud computing services. We continuously improve AWS services by removing barriers and enabling everyone to build with AWS. As an Accessibility Program Manager, you will work with global teams to develop and implement strategies to improve accessibility. You will establish, manage, and continuously improve accessibility services that make it increasingly effortless to build accessible experiences at scale. You will establish routines and mechanisms to understand the health of programs, identify and report on direct and indirect risk and benefits associated with the program, and serve as the lead for overall management of the program and its outputs. You will ensure resources are specific enough to be effective and actionable, but general enough to meet the needs of diverse stakeholders and the way they build and buy products. Our program services also include accessibility audits, born accessible consultations, and office hours.
Key job responsibilities
As the Program Manager you will:
• Demonstrate a strong commitment to accessibility and disability inclusion.
• Understand the needs and priorities of multiple stakeholders/users to improve program effectiveness and drive adoption of accessibility.
• Establish and maintain a framework and mechanisms to guide decision making that errs on the side of the customer while demonstrating a deep understanding of technical and business factors.
• Have a foundational understanding of technical accessibility concepts and tools, and how to incorporate accessibility into product development practices, and to translate customer needs into product requirements.
• Define program and project success metrics, influence stakeholders to take action, and validate the impact of solutions.
• Conduct data analysis and create visualization/dashboarding that results in actionable insights and use high judgement to distill signals from anecdotes and to responsibly share data (and the stories that the data doesn't tell) that provides guidance and allows for course correction while maintaining a high bar for privacy and confidentiality of customers.
• Monitor program inputs and outputs to identify opportunities to learn and teach through each commitment, seek force multipliers, and dismantle systemic barriers to accessibility.
• Navigate difficult prioritization trade off discussions and drive decisions across Amazon leadership by documenting rationalization that balances customer impact, business constraints, and legal risk with the needs of our customer.
• Be the trusted source for the voice of Amazonian employees and candidates with disabilities, ensuring efforts are aligned with customer needs by empowering and holding internal product teams to their commitment to build experiences that best serve our customers.
• Create and lead business reviews with cross-functional senior leaders globally.
• Present to a variety of technical and non-technical audiences.
• Have a strong bias for action and an ability to deal with great ambiguity.
About the team
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 16 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded professional and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
5+ years of experience in program or project management
Experience using data and metrics to drive improvements
Experience owning program strategy, end to end delivery, and communicating results to senior leadership
• 3+ years working with tech and non-tech cross functional teams in an accessibility related role.
• Experience developing and scaling large portfolios.
• Strengths in problem solving, issue-resolution, ability to work in a deadline-driven environment, and attention to detail.
• 3+ years defining program requirements and using data and metrics to determine improvements.
• 3+ years of experience communicating strategy and results to senior management.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.