Software Development Engineer (Accessibility)
Amazon Web Services
In Amazon Web Services (AWS) we have a vision that everyone, regardless of their abilities, should be able to access and enjoy AWS. We’re committed to make that a reality. We will continuously improve AWS Consoles to remove barrios and enable everyone to be able to build upon AWS. As a Software Developer on AWS Console, you will develop, test and deploy new features and improvements making AWS accessible by everyone.
We insist on the high standards and develop internal accessibility tooling as well as build exceptional experiences that conform to accessibility standards. These are early days of AWS Console accessibility. You're going to join a brand new team and you will have a unique opportunity to influence approach to accessibility across entire AWS. We will build tooling, libraries and best practices for other teams to adopt.
Our problem space provides a unique blend of challenges: you will build processes and tools which educate developers and content creators to simplify user experiences, you will be on the look for a technology that can streamline and automate testing for accessibility, you will be a champion working on the behalf of the customers educating your colleagues that accessibility should not be hard.
Our team puts a high value on work-life harmony. Since the most of the customers are in the US timezone it is not possible to avoid meetings in the evenings altogether, but we try keep them at minimum. We plan to return to our beautiful office in Berlin, but we are open to people working from home every now and then.
We don’t have any on-call responsibilities yet. Anticipating the future we work today to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. So that when we will go on-call we won’t be paged in the middle of the night because of not being diligent in the past.
Mentorship & Career Growth
We’re committed to the growth and development of every member of the team. You will have the opportunity to contribute to the culture and direction of the entire AWS Console org and deliver site-wide initiatives that will improve the life of all of our teams. You’ll have the opportunity to grow your scope of influence naturally as we scale and will have get to hire & develop other leaders along the way.
Inclusive Team Culture
Our team is intentional about attracting, developing, and retaining amazing talent from diverse backgrounds. Yes we do get to build a really cool service, but we also think a big reason for that is the inclusive and welcoming culture we try to cultivate every day.
We’re looking for a new teammate who is enthusiastic, empathetic, curious, motivated, reliable, and able to work effectively with a diverse team of peers; someone who will help us amplify the positive & inclusive team culture we’ve been building.
In 2021 we’re are taking the goal to support AWS Console teams to ensure the consoles are accessible. We work together with the Retail Accessibility team (ra11y) and plan to use Amazon accessibility evaluator (AAE) to ensure the consoles stay accessible.
Accessibility is going to be big and full of interesting challenges! The AWS Console Platform Testing team is growing, and we’re looking for leaders that can grow with it. You will have a direct opportunity to ensure AWS is accessible usable and customers can easily get things done quickly.
· Experience with accessibility standards such as WCAG 2.0
· Understanding how people use assistive technologies (e.g., screen reader, screen magnifier, keyboard-only access) and the ability to analyze the impact of a barrier to accessibility.
· Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Typescript, Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
· 3+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
· Experience building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
· Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
· Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project
· Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs.
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build.
Protecting your privacy and the security of your data is a longstanding top priority for Amazon. Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer the personal data of our candidates.