Sr. Product Manager, Labs
Palo Alto, CA,USA
Benetech is a groundbreaking nonprofit that empowers communities with software for social good. If your product management experience and passion for social good can help make world-changing technology come to life, join our team!
We are looking for a Sr. Product Manager to join Benetech Labs, our new product development arm. This person will build technology to make learning inclusive for everyone around the world, such as accessible tools to help students solve math problems online or educators to share 3D models of key STEM concepts.
The Sr. Product Manager is also a key strategic member of Benetech's DIAGRAM Center, an R&D center that creates new ways for people who learn differently to access math and other STEM subjects; and drives systemic change in the publishing industry so that all ebooks fully accessible when they are first created.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Act as champion for the success of prototypes and components, from requirements gathering and user story generation through implementation and early adoption.
• Define and maintain the strategic and technical roadmaps and prototyping process for assigned projects.
• Document and understand users and their needs, and make sure products meet those needs; plan and conduct hands-on user testing and apply the results.
• Define and document product requirements, user stories, functional specifications and business logic as needed in an Agile, prototyping environment.
• Design and analyze metrics to assess success.
• Provide relevant product documentation, including user guides and release information, positioning documentation.
• Provide strategic product leadership for the DIAGRAM Center.
• Be an expert evangelist and spokesperson, for assigned projects, the DIAGRAM Center, Benetech Labs, and accessible educational materials in general.
• Minimum of a Bachelor's degree with at least 7 years of related product management experience, especially in accessibility, assistive technology, online learning, and digital education.
• Demonstrated experience providing strong product leadership for complex early stage projects.
• Experience in tech-for-good startup a plus.
• Knowledge of accessibility and digital publishing and inclusive design best practices and technologies (e.g., Section 508 compliance, WAI-ARIA, EPUB, MathML, JAWS)
• Passionate and skilled in gathering and interpreting user perspective so that requirements and design reflect real needs. Experience working with users with a range of functional needs.
• Experience collaborating with internal and external technology partners as well as non-technical stakeholders.
• Excellent communication, negotiation, leadership, influence-management and problem-solving skills.
• Write very, very well.
• Ability to travel up to 20%
• A personal belief in the mission of Benetech!