Senior Software Engineer
Help us build a more inclusive web.
Assistiv Labs seeks a versatile, motivated software engineer to join our growing team.
The Senior Software Engineer will guide the development of Assistiv Labs’ accessibility testing library, built on top of Playwright. The library leverages our cloud infrastructure to enable end-to-end accessibility testing of user flows at scale.
The Senior Software Engineer will work closely with other engineers on the team to implement features and improve reliability, accuracy, and performance of the system while working to improve the developer experience (DX) of the Customer Success Engineers who will be the primary consumers of the library.
The Senior Software Engineer role will include the following tasks:
- Lead API design for and development of our Playwright-based, cloud platform backed end-to-end accessibility testing library, reporting, and methodology
- Be enough of a user of the library that you understand the scope and complexities involved in creating useful tests for customers (e.g., this might include talking with customers about their test plans and writing some of their production tests)
- Collaborate with the team on our priorities and roadmap
- Gather research, analysis, data and input from a variety of sources to make decisions
- Scope, estimate, and prioritize work
- Peer review code from your team and give thoughtful, actionable feedback
- Occasionally contribute to maintenance and feature development for the Assistiv Labs live testing platform
We’re looking for candidates who can demonstrate the following:
- Experience leading an end-to-end testing QA strategy (might involve: implementation, measuring coverage, maintenance, reporting)
- Strong grasp of web application testing fundamentals and best practices
- Deep understanding of the web and the internals of how web browsers work
- Experience with cloud resource provisioning and management (we use Google Cloud)
- Strong grasp of accessibility fundamentals
- Comfort with driving strong, opinionated API choices, with a keen eye for intuitive API design
- Comfort with dynamic startup environments where change is constant and there is a need to be largely self-guided on complex problems
You will really stand out if you can demonstrate the following:
- Experience with WCAG and assistive technologies (especially screen readers)
- Experience working on a testing framework (especially Playwright)
Assistiv Labs makes the web better by building tools that enable developers, quality assurance engineers, designers, and accessibility specialists to validate their work on assistive technologies across operating systems and at scale. Our customers include Slack, Asana, ServiceNow, eBay, and more.
We’re an early-stage startup with both founders located in/near Portland, OR. This means you will have the opportunity to heavily influence both our technical and product direction. We’re building tools to make the web more inclusive and this is just the beginning.
Our team is highly technical with decades of experience working for companies including Apple and Microsoft. We’re attempting to create new categories of tools within accessibility to enable companies to be orders of magnitude more efficient in their accessibility efforts so they can better serve everyone.
You’ll join a small team that’s hyper-focused on building tools to help companies make their products more accessible. We are driven by a shared commitment to building a more inclusive web.
We are a young company, so we don’t (yet) offer all of the benefits of bigger companies. But, we wholeheartedly believe you will grow in your career by working on solving hard problems alongside our team. And, we promise to have fun along the way!
Here’s what we do offer:
- Equity in the form of stock options
- Health insurance reimbursements (ICHRA)
- 401K management via Empower (once we have a bit more revenue we will add employer matching of contributions)
- Paid attendance (transportation, hotels, admission, meals) to at least one industry conference (e.g., a11yTO Conf) per calendar year
Assistiv Labs is an inclusive workplace. If you have any accessibility requirements or concerns around the hiring process or employment with us, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to apply
Send us an email at email@example.com and let us know why you’re a good fit for the role.
People from underrepresented groups, especially those with connections to the accessibility & disability communities, are strongly encouraged to apply.
Salary Range: $125000 - $175000