Android Engineer - Accessibility
New York, Stockholm, London, Boston, Gothenburg,US, UK, SWEDEN
Are you passionate about accessibility and building inclusive experiences? Excellent! We are looking for an Accessibility focused Android Engineer to join a team part of our Platform Mission.
Solving for inclusion requires empathy with users, building influential relationships, proposing bold ideas and introducing new processes that integrate accessibility thinking into our product development. The impact of your work will be high as you partner with other engineers, designers and user researchers, to build the tools, processes and frameworks needed to ensure Spotify experiences are accessible and inclusive, for all our millions of users.
What you'll do
- Work day-to-day in an agile team of engineers, designers, user researchers and product managers to build and maintain our central approach to Android accessibility
- Collaborate with other engineering teams on code reviews, evolving our shared processes and tooling to support a large number of teams working on Spotify's exciting range of products
- Educate and inspire fellow Spotifiers by sharing your knowledge and experience of accessibility through Spotify-specific guidelines and accessibility training based on findings from user research
- Drive accessibility across the company by partnering and occasionally embedding with our product teams as they update existing and build exciting new features
- Find innovative approaches, improving the developer experience and removing any friction around applying Spotify’s signature design for users with disabilities
- Work from one of our major R&D centers in Stockholm, London or New York, with occasional travel between these locations
Who you are
- You have a deep understanding of modern Android development
- You are familiar with the latest approaches to the creation, evolution and requirements of accessible product development on mobile
- You are aware of the needs and challenges people with disabilities face when using software
- You know how to write readable, maintainable, performant object-oriented Java and Kotlin
- You are comfortable using assistive technologies such as screen readers and the accessibility features of the Android platform
- You enjoy mentoring and supporting peers and engineering teams, fostering the best engineering and accessibility practices
- You are eager to learn new technologies (we will support you with training & mentoring)
The Platform team creates the technology that enables Spotify to learn quickly and scale easily, enabling rapid growth in our users and our business around the globe. Spanning many disciplines, we work to make the business work; creating the frameworks, capabilities and tools needed to welcome a billion customers. Join us and help to amplify productivity, quality and innovation across Spotify.
You are welcome at Spotify for who you are, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or what’s playing in your headphones. Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. The more voices we have represented and amplified in our business, the more we will all thrive, contribute, and be forward-thinking! So bring us your personal experience, your perspectives, and your background. It’s in our differences that we will find the power to keep revolutionizing the way the world listens.
Spotify transformed music listening forever when we launched in 2008. Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the chance to enjoy and be passionate about these creators. Everything we do is driven by our love for music and podcasting. Today, we are the world’s most popular audio streaming subscription service with a community of more than 320 million users.