Web Accessibility Specialist - Remote
Metropolitan Community College
This job is expired.
Position Number 4569 Branch Office of the President Division Marketing Department Marketing Job Description
This position provides central oversight, technical expertise, coordination and support to the College’s departments and programs in their use of content management and web accessibility tools, with a focus on promoting, assessing, and maintaining web and information technology accessibility. This individual also serves as a digital asset curator for the College’s photo, video and electronic marketing assets, supporting all branches of the Office of Marketing, Brand and Communication in their daily work.
ESSENTIAL POSITION FUNCTIONS :
1. Perform regular accessibility audits of institutional web pages and content through manual testing and assistive technology tools.
2. Supports content development and serves as a quality assurance lead.
3. Works with vendors to implement accessibility features for web applications and software.
4. Evaluates accessibility of external platforms that host institutional content (e.g., YouTube, internal sites).
5. Establish guidelines, best practices and standards related to design and maintenance of accessible websites, online materials, mobile, and print documentation/content remediation.
6. Manages Marketing digital assets, including but not limited to photos, videos, copy, etc. and oversees the archiving and filing of such assets, ensuring their availability to College departments.
7. Works in collaboration with the College’s Information Technology Services, Disability Support Services, Creative Services, Client Services and Brand and Communication units in creating accessible content, templates and tools for web production, marketing print and digital media deliverables.
8. Develops and implements outreach efforts and training for internal content managers across the College on accessibility monitoring software and assists in identifying strategies and solutions for accessibility compliance.
9. With support from Instructional Design unit, oversees captioning for video content published on College web properties.
10. Keeps abreast of new market trends and technologies.
11. Consistently and dependably attends work, activities and functions as scheduled or assigned.
KNOWLEDGE , SKILLS AND ABILITIES :
2. Functional knowledge of User Agent Accessibility Guidelines (UAAG).
3. Hands-on experience with WAI-ARIA.
4. Proven tactical knowledge of accessibility standards and practices utilized to achieve compliance with WCAG 2.0/2.1, Section 508, ADA, other accessibility laws and standards.
5. Knowledge of image and video file formats and digital asset management tools (Extensis Portfolio, Libris Photoshelter).
6. Knowledge and experience with assistive technologies (JAWS, VoiceOver, Dragon NaturallySpeaking).
7. Strong organizational and project management skills. Ability to develop and manage project schedules and deadlines across numerous internal and external stakeholders.
8. Effective written and oral communication skills.
9. Demonstrated ability to effectively and independently lead projects to completion.
10. Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office software and working knowledge of Adobe Creative cloud.
11. Ability to shift gears quickly and be flexible as changes happen.
12. Ability to effectively work and interact with various cultures and ethnicities.
The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria considered necessary to perform the job successfully. Metropolitan Community College recognizes that an individual with a disability may require an accommodation to enable the candidate to successfully perform a job function. Consideration will be given to reasonable accommodations.
Bachelor’s degree in computer science, MIS, web development, project management, broadcast communications, marketing or related field, with three (3) years of full-time work experience in web accessibility analysis or web development.
Certification/credentials in the following, preferred but not required:
a. IAAP Certified Professional in Accessibility Core Competencies (CPACC)
b. Web Accessibility Specialist (WAS) Certification
Equivalent combination of education and/or work experience considered.
Preferred Qualifications Physical Demands
Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
Salary/Hourly Rate $19.94 Minimum
Posting Detail Information
Number of Vacancies
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Special Instructions to Applicants
Schedule: Mon-Fri, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm. Applicants who reside locally, will work on campus. Out of state residents will work remotely. Your work environment must have adequate internet connection and a dedicated work space will be necessary to be successful.
Hiring process includes passing a background check.