Digital Accessibility Coordinator
University of Virginia
As a critical member of the Office of Equal Opportunity & Civil Rights team, the Digital Accessibility Coordinator serves as a subject matter expert and coordinator of the university’s strategic efforts to provide accessible information and communications technology (ICT) to the university community. Reporting to the University ADA Coordinator, this position works in collaboration with key partners, including the Office of the CIO, to lead a collective effort to proactively and systemically address University ICT accessibility, ensure compliance, and improve the usability of ICT resources and related services. The Coordinator exercises high levels of decision making in order to provide guidance, coordination and support to the University community.
• Providing strategic leadership, advice, and training to assist schools, offices, and departments in meeting University policy requirements regarding the development and acquisition of ICT;
• Overseeing implementation of the Information Technology Accessibility policy and facilitating necessary changes to the policy, as well as maintaining and advising on changes to applicable accessibility standards;
• Collaborating with university partners in auditing and evaluating digital assets and services in use, as well as those being developed, considered for acquisition, or implemented;
• Providing guidance, feedback and solutions to schools, departments and units in understanding their obligations under the policy; as well as to developers and vendors of digital content, services, and applications on accessible design and development practices;
• Providing guidance and leadership in the selection and implementation of digital accessibility tools and training;
• Maintain knowledge of current and emerging accessible development practices and trends to serve as the university’s subject matter expert, and staying abreast of emerging web, mobile, assistive, information, and instructional technologies, and accessibility solutions;
• Review and audit University websites using various tools and provide feedback and solutions to relevant stakeholders to address any accessibility or usability issue;
• Developing and providing presentations and other educational resources focused on ICT accessibility topics for a wide variety of audiences;
• Assisting the ADA Team in responding to contacts and barrier reports;
• Assisting the ADA Coordinator and EOCR with general compliance and other substantive duties as assigned.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Management Information Systems or related field, OR an equivalent combination of education and experience
• At least three years of experience in the development of accessible websites, applications, and/or evaluating products for digital accessibility
• Working knowledge of the W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines, Section 508 and other disability laws regarding ICT accessibility
• Experience testing for accessibility barriers and use of common accessibility evaluation tools
• Experiences with digital office and workspace tools, including Microsoft Office and PDF accessibility (document remediation a plus)
• Ability to maintain the confidentiality of privileged information and adhere to applicable privacy laws
• Five or more years of experience producing high-quality accessible websites, applications, or evaluating products for digital accessibility
• Significant front end web development experience
• Experience with assistive technology, including but not limited to, screen reading software, screen-reading magnification software, speech to text software, text to speech software, and alternative input devices
• Understanding of Universal Design for Learning and Instructional Design
• Knowledge of digital tools for teaching and learning
• International Association of Accessibility Professionals certified
• Demonstrated commitment to accessibility and a strong understanding of accessibility-related issues
This position will remain open until filled. This is an Exempt level, benefited position. The University will perform background checks on all new hires prior to employment. For questions about the position or the application process, please contact Ashley Cochran, Senior Recruiter at email@example.com.
How to Apply:
Applications that do not contain all of the required documents will not receive full consideration, please note that multiple documents can be uploaded in the box.
Process for External Applicants: Please apply through Workday, and search for ‘R0038540'. Complete an application online and attach a cover letter, CV/resume, and contact information for three references (name, email address, telephone number, and address).
Process for Internal UVA Applicants: Please apply through your Workday Home page, search “Find Jobs,” and search for ‘R0038540.’ Complete an application online and attach a cover letter, CV/resume, and contact information for three references (name, email address, telephone number, and address).