Sr. UX Designer - A11y
Amazon.com Services LLC
We are seeking a Sr. UX Designer with a passion for accessibility (a11y) to help us provide effortless access to Amazon’s shopping and reading experiences regardless of language, device, age, location, physical or cognitive ability. This designer will join the Amazon’s Shopping Design team, the team responsible with designing the shopping journey for Amazon customers—from discovery and evaluation of products and programs, to writing and reading product reviews, to gifting and saving products for later, to checking out and completing purchases. We’re also the team that defines the UX guidelines and design language (codified in our shopping design system) that enables teams across Amazon to design on-brand shopping experiences efficiently and at scale. This designer will also work closely with the Kindle team, influencing design practices for Kindle reading and authoring experiences. This role will start as a remote position, but will eventually be located in downtown Seattle, WA; with easy access to public transit and parking.
In this role, you will be passionately committed to creating digital products that are broadly accessible to customers with disabilities. You understand the challenges of navigating digital spaces as a person with a disability, either through your work in this space, personal lived experience, or close relationships. You are a champion of inclusive design practices and a subject matter expert on accessibility in both web and mobile product design. You have hands-on experience contributing to design systems and guidelines for enterprise products, and have demonstrated skills in advocating for customers with disabilities, coaching designers in inclusive design practices, and influencing change in large scale organizations.
As part of this team you’ll be responsible for using your knowledge of accessibility and design systems to help define, guide and build accessibility into Amazon’s customer experiences and grow a program of accessibility enablement across the retail and books organizations. You will work closely with designers, user researchers, product managers and engineers to ensure all features are accessible and inclusive. You will have a wide impact on teams across different organizations and grow global design guidelines supporting accessibility. You will also research, design, and build features that set the standard for reading, shopping, and authoring experiences for customers with disabilities.
Candidates must be responsive, flexible and able to succeed in a fast-paced environment with a high-degree of independence and ownership.
· Lead the planning and strategic phases of a project. Proactively pitch new CX ideas, backed by a strong, well-articulated rationale.
· Coach product, design and engineering teams (native and web) on the best accessibility practices and accessibility related decisions for their teams.
· Collaborate with people with disabilities to learn how to remove barriers within our products.
· Conduct usability studies involving people with disabilities to establish benchmarks and identify how we measure our product improvements.
· Create elegant, intuitive user experiences that meet the evolving needs of our customers across multiple global marketplaces.
· Understand target users deeply: develop or work from user profiles and conduct task analysis, create user scenarios or use stories.
· Create user flows, wireframes, prototypes, high fidelity mockups and detailed UI and visual design specifications for web, mobile web and app interfaces.
· Independently deliver UX solutions for problems of large scope and complexity.
· Work through ambiguity, and adapt your approach to meet the needs of multiple stakeholders.
· Present to a variety of technical and non-technical audiences.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
· 8+ years of professional experience as a UX designer or interaction designer.
· An online portfolio or samples of work on resume, demonstrating experience creating great end-to-end, user-centered design solutions and patterns, across desktop and mobile devices.
· Bachelor's degree in design, human-computer interaction (HCI) or equivalent professional experience.
· Previous experience with accessibility standards and guidelines such as Apple Accessibility Guidelines, Android Accessibility Guidelines and/or Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG)
· Experience contributing to design systems for digital products
· High proficiency in a variety of design and prototype tools such as Sketch, Invision, Figma, XD, and the Adobe Creative Suite; command of technologies (web, Android, iOS, etc).
· Excellent problem-solving skills and familiarity with technical constraints and limitations as they apply to designing for platforms, such as desktop and mobile clients
· Experience planning and executing effective customer research, solo, or in partnership with a UX Researcher.
· Knowledge of Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.1 accessibility standards and guidelines
· Knowledge of disability law such as the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
· Accessibility compliance experience with web and native experiences
· While not required, experience with assistive technologies like VoiceOver, NVDA screen reader, ZoomText or JAWS is a plus.
· This position is intended for Seattle, WA, when Amazon returns to our offices, however temporary to full-time remote candidates will also be considered.