Western Governors university
Salt Lake City, UT,UNITED STATES
If you’re passionate about building a better future for individuals, communities, and our country—and you’re committed to working hard to play your part in building that future—consider WGU as the next step in your career.
Driven by a mission to expand access to higher education through online, competency-based degree programs, WGU is also committed to being a great place to work for a diverse workforce of student-focused professionals. The university has pioneered a new way to learn in the 21st century, one that has received praise from academic, industry, government, and media leaders. Whatever your role, working for WGU gives you a part to play in helping students graduate, creating a better tomorrow for themselves and their families.
The accessibility specialist furthers WGU’s mission to provide equal access to higher education for students with disabilities. The specialist provides technical expertise and support in coordinating, acquiring, producing, and distributing course materials in alternate formats. This individual oversees adaptive technology needs and maintains current understanding of accessible electronic and information technologies. The accessibility specialist drives compliance with ADA standards to improve accessibility of WGU courses.
Essential Functions And Responsibilities
• Reviews and analyzes, using accessibility tools, curriculum and assessments to identify issues and ensure compliance with Section 508 and WCAG 2.0
• Determines usability and accessibility of WGU platforms or websites
• Proactively explores current innovations, research, and learning technology associated with accessibility
• Recommends and provides accessibility training for stakeholders
• Works with stakeholders to improve current learning design to ensure compliance with necessary regulations
• Stays well-informed of current trends, innovations, and research regarding accessibility requirements
• Documents and maintains accessibility processes and initiatives
• Familiarity with WCAG 2.0
• Knowledge of Section 508 guidelines and the Voluntary Product Accessibility Template
• Familiarity with JAWS, WAVE, NVDA and VoiceOver
• Ability to multitask and manage multiple projects at a time
• Excellent organizational skills
• Strong listening, written, and verbal communication skills
• Ability to articulate concepts and ideas effectively with minimal guidance
• 3+ years working in online higher education
• Bachelor’s degree in an area related to the education (master’s degree preferred)
• Experience in creative project management
As an equal opportunity employer, WGU recognizes that our strength lies in our people. We are committed to diversity