Senior Engineer - Accessibility
Mountain View, CA,USA
ABOUT KHAN ACADEMY
Khan Academy is a nonprofit with the mission to deliver a free, world-class education to anyone, anywhere. Our proven learning platform offers free, high-quality supplemental learning content and practice that cover Pre-K - 12th grade and early college core academic subjects, focusing on math and science. We have over 155 million registered learners globally and are committed to improving learning outcomes for students worldwide, focusing on learners in historically under-resourced communities.
Our students, teachers, and parents come from all walks of life, and so do we. Our team includes people from academia, traditional/non-traditional education, big tech companies, and tiny startups. We hire great people from diverse backgrounds and experiences because it makes our company stronger. We value diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging as necessary to achieve our mission and impact the communities we serve. We know that transforming education starts in-house with learning about ourselves and our colleagues. We strive to be world-class in investing in our people and commit to developing you as a professional.
Currently we are focused on providing equitable solutions to historically under-resourced communities of learners and teachers, and guided by our Engineering Principles. On the Product team, you might work on projects such as:
Integrating state of the art learning science into our product to enable learners and teachers to quickly identify and address learning gaps on the fly.
Partnering with public school districts with a high percentage of Free and Reduced Price Lunch students to build and scale our teacher and learner tools to millions of learners who otherwise would not have discovered us.
Building tools for teachers to use Khan Academy as a strategic supplement in their classrooms.
In this role you will be working on the learning components that are used by learners to enter and evaluate answers. You will need to utilize design systems and partner cross functionally (design, product, content creation, etc.) to deliver awesome accessible experiences.
If you’re looking for the opportunity to grow as a Engineer and an Accessibility expert through shipping high-quality products that solve real problems for learners, we'd love to hear from you. Even if you don’t check every box (no one does), we encourage you to apply!
WHAT YOU BRING
* 5+ years experience building world-class product experiences for an interactive web-app. In particular, you have built and maintained scalable backend services, as well as complex, stateful frontend user interfaces.
* Strong technical project management skills, as our Senior Software Engineers often lead projects.
* Experience building and maintaining complex software. You’ll join us in writing clean, maintainable software that solves hard problems. You’ll write testable, quality code. You’ll push the team and the mission forward with your contributions.
* Experience building, delivering, and advocating for accessible experiences that center the needs of users with disabilities.
* You know how to integrate the WCAG accessibility specification into your engineering work. Additionally, experience working with VPATs is a plus.
* Motivated by the Khan Academy mission “to provide a free world-class education for anyone, anywhere."
* Strong communication, thoughtfulness, and desire to give and receive regular feedback.
* Proven cross-cultural competency skills demonstrating self-awareness, awareness of other, and the ability to adopt inclusive perspectives, attitudes, and behaviors to drive inclusion and belonging throughout the organization.
* Empathy for learners around the world. You love learning and are excited about helping others learn to love learning. You’re motivated to learn new things and share what you learn with the world.
We welcome candidates with experience in any and all technologies. We don’t require experience in any particular language or tool. Our commitment to on-boarding and mentorship means you won’t be left in the dark as you learn new technologies.
PERKS AND BENEFITS
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team extremely well! We offer:
Ample paid time off as needed – Your well-being is a priority.
Remote-first culture - that caters to your time zone, with open flexibility as needed, at times
Generous parental leave
An exceptional team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to do your best
The chance to put your talents towards a deeply meaningful mission and the opportunity to work on high-impact products that are already defining the future of education
Opportunities to connect through affinity, ally, and social groups
And we offer all those other typical benefits as well: 401(k) + 4% matching & comprehensive insurance, including medical, dental, vision, and life
At Khan Academy we are committed to fair and equitable compensation practices, the well-being of our employees, and our Khan community. This belief is why we have built out a robust Total Rewards package that includes competitive base salaries, and extensive benefits and perks to support physical, mental, and financial well-being.
The target salary range for this position (LEC IC 1.5) is $165,500 - $201,250 USD / 206,875 - 251,562 CAD. The pay range for this position is a general guideline only. The salary offered will depend on internal pay equity and the candidate’s relevant skills, experience, qualifications, and job market data. Exceptional performers in this role who make an outsized contribution can make well in excess of this range. Additional incentives are provided as part of the complete total rewards package in addition to comprehensive medical and other benefits.
Salary Range: $165500 - $201250