Senior Accessibility Specialist
Toronto, ON; Eagan, MN; Carrollton, TX; Zug, CH,USA; CANADA; SWITZERLAND
Are you a curious, smart, self-driven accessibility professional who loves working in collaboration to deliver moments of delight for customers and colleagues? Are you excited by the challenge of turning complex problems and constraints into simple elegant solutions that exceed customers’ needs and expectations? Are you excited by the challenge of working with internal teams and business stakeholders to deliver on high-impact internal projects with a focus on accessibility and the employee experience?
Come and join the Thomson Reuters Accessibility team as we grow and transform Thomson Reuters into a user-focused, customer-obsessed organization. We aren’t just changing the way customers engage with us, we are transforming and re-imagining our business. Our customers range from small entrepreneurs to large corporations and government clients across the globe. They are under a lot of pressure to ensure the products and services they purchase meet their business needs and are confident in knowing how to use them. Additionally, we support the employee experience, working to ensure everyone can come to work each day, be at their best and thrive.
As a Senior Accessibility Specialist, you will be a trusted, respected, partner that works closely with either UX Professionals, Product Managers, and Engineering supporting our products, or in collaboration with internal teams including but not limited to Marketing, HR, Diversity & Inclusion and General Counsel supporting business readiness and employee experience initiatives. You will provide accessibility-related consulting and guidance to ensure all customers or employees can access and use our products and assets. You will also be a mentor to other Accessibility Specialists and assist in educating and promoting accessibility in culture and practice within the organization. To be effective in this role, you must have demonstrated expert level understanding of accessibility, assistive technology, and need a unique skill set of problem-solving, strong communication, and working as part of a team. We promote an agile, collaborative, supportive environment where diverse thinking, innovative design, and experimentation is welcomed and encouraged.
What Makes this a Unique Opportunity
Thomson Reuters participates in the W3C (World Wide Web Consortium), which creates the standards for the web, including accessibility standards. The Accessibility team participates in the WCAG working group (Web Content Accessibility Guidelines), which is part of the W3C. You will have the unique opportunity to participate as part of Thomson Reuters’ membership.
• BA/BS in information science, information design, computer science, related field, or equivalent industry experience.
• 7+ years of experience working as an accessibility professional.
• Expert level understanding of WCAG 2.1 (AA) guidelines.
• Expert level understanding of assistive technologies and accessibility-related software including JAWS®, NVDA, and Dragon® NaturallySpeaking.
• Demonstrated experience providing implementation direction and requirements to design, front-end development, engineering, and internal business teams such as marketing or customer support.
• Ability to collaborate with Design System team to create and document composable UI elements in a number of environments (Figma, HTML/CSS) leveraging system foundations and patterns.
• Knowledge of document accessibility and remediation, including PDF.
• General awareness of Section 508, ADA, AODA, and EN 301 549.
• Experience and understanding of Agile development practices.
• Ability to mentor other Accessibility Specialists.
• Ability to work collaboratively and productively both with diverse teams and independently.
• Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills.
• Strong critical thinking, problem-solving, and presentation skills.
Assistive Technology users strongly encouraged to apply.
What’s in it For You?
You will join our inclusive culture of world-class talent, where we are committed to your personal and professional growth through:
• Hybrid Work Model: Currently, as part of our COVID-19 response, our employees are working remotely and following local COVID-19 bylaws and guidelines with the majority of our offices planning to remain remote throughout 2021. Upon return, we will embrace a hybrid work environment consisting of in-office and remote work.
• Culture: Globally recognized and award-winning reputation for equality, diversity and inclusion, flexibility, work-life balance, and more.
• Wellbeing: Comprehensive benefit plans; company-wide Mental Health Day Off; Headspace app subscription; retirement, savings, tuition reimbursement, and employee incentive programs; resources for mental, physical, and financial wellbeing.
• Learning & Development: LinkedIn Learning access; internal Talent Marketplace with opportunities to work on projects cross-company; Ten Thousand Coffees Thomson Reuters café networking.
• Social Impact: Eight employee-driven Business Resource Groups; two paid volunteer days annually; Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) initiatives for local and global impact.
COVID-19 vaccination requirement (US employees only):
In compliance with the Executive Order issued by President Biden, all Thomson Reuters’ U.S. employees must have received their final vaccination dose (either their second dose in a two-dose series vaccine or their first dose of a single-dose vaccine) by January 4, 2022. New hires with a start date later than January 4, 2022 must be fully vaccinated before their start date. Proof of vaccination will be required. If you are unable to be vaccinated due to a disability (including medical conditions) or a sincerely held religious belief, practice or observance, you may be entitled to an accommodation in accordance with applicable law. By acknowledging this box, you attest that you understand fulfilling this requirement is a condition of employment with Thomson Reuters.
Do you want to be part of a team helping re-invent the way knowledge professionals work? How about a team that works every day to create a more transparent, just and inclusive future? At Thomson Reuters, we’ve been doing just that for almost 160 years. Our industry-leading products and services include highly specialized information-enabled software and tools for legal, tax, accounting and compliance professionals combined with the world’s most global news services – Reuters. We help these professionals do their jobs better, creating more time for them to focus on the things that matter most: advising, advocating, negotiating, governing and informing.
We are powered by the talents of 25,000 employees across more than 75 countries, where everyone has a chance to contribute and grow professionally in flexible work environments that celebrate diversity and inclusion. At a time when objectivity, accuracy, fairness and transparency are under attack, we consider it our duty to pursue them. Sound exciting? Join us and help shape the industries that move society forward.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under applicable law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
We also make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and for sincerely held religious beliefs in accordance with applicable law.