Digital Accessibility Specialist
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
Daytona Beach, FL,UNITED STATES
This job is expired.
About Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University:
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University is an independent, culturally diverse institution providing quality education and research in aviation, aerospace, engineering, and other related fields with residential campuses located in Daytona Beach, Florida and Prescott, Arizona. The University's Worldwide campus provides educational opportunities online and at approximately 130 locations throughout the United States, Asia, Europe, and Central/South America.
As the largest and most comprehensive aviation and aerospace-focused university in the world, Embry-Riddle is a unique institution. Over the past 90 years, the University has evolved with industry to break new ground and produce top-level graduates who serve the ever-changing needs of aviation and aerospace and other STEM-related disciplines. Embry-Riddle offers programs in seven primary fields of study including: Applied Science; Aviation; Business; Computers and Technology; Engineering; Safety, Security, and Intelligence; and Space.
For Academic Year 2021-22, there were over 11,100 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students that attended the University's residential campuses and approximately 20,195 students in total enrolled with the University around the world.
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (Embry-Riddle) seeks a motivated, results-oriented Digital Accessibility Specialist to join the Information Technology department in Daytona Beach, Florida, or in a teleworking arrangement.
The Digital Accessibility Specialist will serve as one of the University’s lead web accessibility experts and will support website and digital content optimization to ensure accessibility compliance on university websites and digital properties. A qualified candidate has a strong understanding of digital accessibility standards and best practices (i.e., WCAG 2.1, Section 508, PDF-UA), as well as common assistive technologies and how they interact with the web. The ideal candidate is proficient in remediating inaccessible digital content (web content, PDFs, Word documents, PowerPoints, video, etc.).
The Digital Accessibility Specialist is part of the Information Technology Web Strategy team and reports to the Director of Web Optimization and Analytics. They will work with colleagues university wide to identify opportunities and implement accessible solutions in the digital space. In addition, they will promote accessibility awareness and practice across the University.
Information Technology provides a modern, collaborative environment with on-site amenities, professional development opportunities, and a flexible summer work schedule. Working for Embry-Riddle entitles employees to a robust benefits package – from quality health care and retirement to generous education benefits.
Responsibilities include the following:
- Conduct regular accessibility audits of websites, using AI-powered reporting tools and manual testing (screen reader testing, keyboard testing, etc.) to provide remediation recommendations and guide remediation efforts. This includes but is not limited to: reviewing wireframes, mockups and prototypes; testing web components, templates and/or web pages; consulting with designers and developers to ensure accessibility compliance; advising on digital properties as needed.
- Review, test and remediate or convert electronic documents to accessible web content.
- Respond to accessibility requests and inquiries and provide guidance or take necessary action to address customer needs.
- Assist in the development and implementation of policies and procedures that encourage continuous improvement and remediation of inaccessible digital content.
- Assist with the development, maintenance and dissemination of accessibility-related educational materials (i.e., intranet content, live and pre-recorded trainings, presentations, email communications, etc.).
- Stay abreast of accessibility updates, trends and best practices; provide relevant updates to the team.
- Required education: Bachelor's degree
- 3+ years of experience in the field of digital accessibility, with proven experience in website and document remediation.
- Proficiency in accessibility standards and guidelines, including WCAG, PDF-UA, Section 508, etc.
- Experience using and testing with assistive technologies on various platforms (Mac, Windows, iOS, Android).
- Experience with content management systems.
- Ability to think critically, problem-solve, and deal with ambiguity and incomplete information.
- Excellent communicator and self-starter who can work independently and collaboratively in groups.
- Ability to articulate complex issues, insights and recommendations clearly and effectively.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to support IT Core Values by focusing on improvements, believing in our team, learning from mistakes, being accountable for actions and showing determination, focus and tenacity. Experience with Siteimprove, NVDA, VoiceOver, and Sitecore is preferred.