Principal UX Designer, Books a11y
Our team is looking for a Principal UX Designer with a passion for accessibility (a11y) to help us provide effortless access to any book ever published, in 60 seconds or less, to every customer in the world regardless of language, device, age, location, physical or cognitive ability. This designer will join the Books Design Studio, a team made up of designers, researchers, producers, and design technologists from a diverse set of backgrounds and experiences. Together, we build customer experiences across Kindle devices, phone and tablet apps, discovery and purchase experiences; as well as tools for authors and publishers. This role will start as a remote position, but will eventually be located in our downtown Seattle, WA; with easy access to public transit and parking.
In this role, the Principal UX Designer will work with a cross-functional team to research and build new accessibility-focused features, and also help grow the program for accessibility enablement within our Books and Kindle organization. Candidates must be responsive, flexible and able to succeed in a fast-paced environment with a high-degree of independence and ownership.
· Lead the planning and strategic phases of a project. Proactively pitch new CX ideas, backed by a strong, well-articulated rationale.
· Coach product, design and engineering teams (native and web) on the best accessibility practices and accessibility related decisions for their teams.
· Collaborate with people with disabilities to learn how to remove barriers within our products.
· Conduct usability studies involving people with disabilities to establish benchmarks and identify how we measure our product improvements.
· Create elegant, intuitive user experiences that meet the evolving needs of our customers across multiple global marketplaces.
· Understand target users deeply: develop or work from user profiles and conduct task analysis, create user scenarios or use stories.
· Create user flows, wireframes, prototypes, high fidelity mockups and detailed UI and visual design specifications for web, mobile web and app interfaces.
· Independently deliver UX solutions for problems of large scope and complexity.
· Work through ambiguity, and adapt your approach to meet the needs of multiple stakeholders.
· Present to a variety of technical and non-technical audiences.
· Bachelor's degree in design, human-computer interaction (HCI) or equivalent professional experience.
· Minimum of 10+ years of industry experience in UX design or related discipline.
· An online portfolio or samples of work demonstrating experience creating user-centered design solutions and UI design expertise. Must illustrate solving for multi-platform UX challenges and demonstrate scalable, user-friendly design solutions; coupled with VX skills that can be utilized to create engaging designs.
· High proficiency in a variety of design and prototype tools such as Sketch, Invision, Figma, XD, and the Adobe Creative Suite; command of technologies (web, Android, iOS, etc).
· Experience planning and executing effective customer research, solo, or in partnership with a UX Researcher.
· Knowledge of Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.1 accessibility standards and guidelines
· Knowledge of disability law such as the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
· Accessibility compliance experience with web and native experiences
· While not required, experience with assistive technologies like VoiceOver, NVDA screen reader, ZoomText or JAWS is a plus.
· A passion for books and writing.
· This position is intended for Seattle, WA, when Amazon returns to our offices, however temporary to full-time remote candidates will also be considered.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.