Senior Accessibility Specialist
Minneapolis, MN; Dallas, TX; Ann Arbor, MI; Toronto, CA; Zurich, CH,USA; CANADA; SWITZERLAND
Senior Accessibility Specialist
Are you a curious, smart, self-driven accessibility professional who loves working in collaboration to deliver moments of delight for customers and colleagues? Are you excited by the challenge of turning complex problems and constraints into simple elegant solutions that exceed customer’s needs and expectations? Are you excited by the challenge of working across internal teams and business stakeholders to deliver on high-impact internal projects with a focus on accessibility and the employee experience?
Come and join the Thomson Reuters Accessibility team as we grow and transform Thomson Reuters into a user focused, customer-obsessed organization. We aren’t just changing the way customers engage with us, we are transforming and re-imagining our business. Our customers range from small entrepreneurs to large corporations and government clients across the globe. They are under a lot of pressure to ensure the products and services they purchase meet their business needs and are confident in knowing how to use them. Additionally, we support the employee experience, working to ensure everyone can come to work each day, be at their best and thrive.
As a Senior Accessibility Specialist, you will be a trusted, respected, partner that works closely with either UX Professionals, Product Managers, and Engineering supporting our products, or in collaboration with internal teams including but not limited to Marketing, HR, Diversity & Inclusion and General Counsel supporting business readiness and employee experience initiatives. You will provide accessibility related consulting and guidance to ensure all customers or employees can access and use our products and assets. You will also be a mentor to other Accessibility Specialists and assist in educating and promoting accessibility in culture and practice within the organization. To be effective in this role, you must have demonstrated expert level understanding of accessibility, assistive technology, and need a unique skillset of problem solving, strong communication and working as part of a team. We promote an agile, collaborative, supportive environment where diverse thinking, innovative design, and experimentation is welcomed and encouraged.
What Makes this a Unique Opportunity
Thomson Reuters participates in the W3C (World Wide Web Consortium), which creates the standards for the web, including accessibility standards. The Accessibility team participates in the WCAG working group (Web Content Accessibility Guidelines), which is part of the W3C. You will have the unique opportunity to participate as part of Thomson Reuters’ membership.
• BA/BS in information science, information design, computer science, related field, or equivalent industry experience.
• 7+ years of experience working as an accessibility professional.
• Expert level understanding of WCAG 2.1 (AA) guidelines.
• Expert level understanding of assistive technologies and accessibility-related software including JAWS®, NVDA, and Dragon® NaturallySpeaking.
• Demonstrated experience providing implementation direction and requirements to design, front-end development, engineering, and internal business teams such as marketing or customer support.
• Ability to collaborate with Design System team to create and document composable UI elements in a number of environments (Figma, HTML/CSS) leveraging system foundations and patterns.
• Knowledge of document accessibility and remediation, including PDF.
• General awareness of Section 508, ADA, AODA, and EN 301 549.
• Experience and understanding of Agile development practices.
• Ability to mentor other Accessibility Specialists.
• Ability to work collaboratively and productively both with diverse teams and independently.
• Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills.
• Strong critical thinking, problem-solving and presentation skills.
Assistive Technology users are strongly encouraged to apply.
What’s in it For You?
You will join our inclusive culture of world-class talent, where we are committed to your personal and professional growth through:
• Hybrid Work Model: Currently, as part of our COVID-19 response, our employees are working remotely and following local COVID-19 bylaws and guidelines with the majority of our offices planning to remain remote throughout 2021. Upon return, we will embrace a hybrid work environment consisting of in-office and remote work.
• Culture: Globally recognized and award-winning reputation for equality, diversity and inclusion, flexibility, work-life balance, and more.
• Wellbeing: Comprehensive benefit plans; company-wide Mental Health Day Off; Headspace app subscription; retirement, savings, tuition reimbursement, and employee incentive programs; resources for mental, physical, and financial wellbeing.
• Learning & Development: LinkedIn Learning access; internal Talent Marketplace with opportunities to work on projects cross-company; Ten Thousand Coffees Thomson Reuters café networking.
• Social Impact: Eight employee-driven Business Resource Groups; two paid volunteer days annually; Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) initiatives for local and global impact.