Web Accessibility Specialist
California State University
Under the direction of the Director of Web & Mobile Services, the incumbent will focus on supporting campus content editors and publishers with planning, creating, editing, and publishing content for the main campus website and associated sub-sites. The position will provide support for the University’s web and mobile content by promoting best practices in standards for writing for the web, with usability and accessibility at the forefront of maintaining a consistent experience for users of these environments.
The position will work closely with IRT colleagues and key campus publishers to streamline site-wide content by granting access and supporting analysis of site data using industry tools. The incumbent will engage with a variety of stakeholders and guide a singular content strategy throughout the website.
The incumbent will coordinate efforts to proactively assess web content in all formats (e.g., PDF, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint files, videos, images, and audio) for accessibility and will work with the content publishers to ensure content is accessible. Additionally, the position will support designing curriculum for training that educates content editors on how to develop and design accessible content experiences from inception.
This position will support the direction of senior divisional leadership and work toward creating a sustainable web presence that enhances and communicates the University’s key messages and brand.
Note: All IRT employees should be familiar with the mission of the University, the University Strategic Plan, and the campus information technology strategic plan.
FLSA Exempt - This position is covered by health benefits, and is exempt, (not eligible for overtime compensation) according to the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Classification Salary Range
$4,372 – $10,478 monthly
Hiring Range $4,372 - $5,400 monthly; Starting salary for very well qualified candidates will typically be near the mid-point of the hiring range
Salary Grade/Range 2
Is this position Hourly or Intermittent? No
Regular or Temporary Regular
Full Time or Part Time Full Time
Pay Plan 12
Work Hours Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm; Other hours as required
Who is IRT?
Information Resources & Technology (IRT) partners with faculty, staff, and students to provide essential information technology services that support mission critical activities and innovative technology solutions that facilitate the accomplishment of strategic campus goals at Sacramento State.
To enter this classification, a basic foundation of knowledge and skills in technical information systems and application program packages is a prerequisite. This foundation would normally be obtained through a bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems, educational technology, communications, or related fields, or similar certified coursework in applicable fields of study. Foundation knowledge and skills for the Information Technology Consultant, depending on the nature of the position assignment, may include working knowledge of common software application packages, equipment platforms, reference database systems and sources, and training methods and a basic understanding of networks, data communication, and multimedia systems.
1. Bachelor’s degree in educational technology, English, journalism, communications, or related fields from an accredited university, or equivalent experience in field of study.
2. Demonstrated experience guiding content strategy and creating/editing content according to accepted best practices.
3. Demonstrated experience working with web content management systems.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
4. Demonstrated proficiency writing content for the web.
5. Knowledge of Section 508 guidelines and strategies to meet ADA compliance.
6. Knowledge of SEO (Search Engine Optimization) best practices and strategies for web content management.
7. Excellent writing, copyediting, and communication skills.
8. Excellent customer service skills with the ability to train others on best practices.
9. Effective and efficient problem-solving skills with the ability to own, manage, and solve complex and routine problems.
10. Demonstrated initiative to collaborate with colleagues and continuously improve services and processes.
11. Proven ability to analyze user needs, determine and evaluate alternative solutions and approaches to meeting those needs, and select the optimal solution.
Conditions of Employment:
- Ability to pass a background check
12. Ability to leverage data and performance metrics to make informed decisions.
13. Knowledge of and experience in implementing UI/UX best practices.
14. Understanding of functional processes used at an institution of higher education
15. Ability to leverage data and performance metrics to make informed decisions.
16. Experience creating wireframes, interactive prototypes, and user flows.
18. Demonstrated knowledge of agile project management principles as they relate to web design and development.
Salary Range: $52464 - $64800