Our mission is to break down the barriers of today to release the potential of tomorrow. Join us today and release yours.
There are two things that we want to share with anyone considering joining us.
Firstly, we’ve got big ambitions for our colleagues and the future of the organisation. These include our vision that inclusion and accessibility drive every conversation we have and every decision we make. We want our workforce to fully represent the communities and customers we serve, because a diverse business is a better business. We value every colleague, their diversity and the contribution that they make. When we say you’re welcome at BT, we really mean it.
Secondly, the one thing the pandemic has taught us is that a lot of current and future colleagues, where and when possible, want to embrace hybrid working. Therefore, we are introducing smart working at BT. Smart working means having the flexibility to choose, as a team, how and where you work depending on your team’s deliverables and needs; when you are at your shared core location to connect with others and when not. It may not be for every role, and, as part of the recruitment process, you’ll have the chance to discuss smart working and how it might work for the job you are applying for.
About this role
For the past 12 months, we have had reckoning moments. We realised that our websites and apps did not offer the best experience to all our customers. Since then, we have been working very hard to make things better from the start. But we still have a lot of work ahead before resting assured that all our customers feel welcome to our digital front doors. We are committed to providing the best digital experience ever to everyone.
The big news is: We are building an Accessibility team, and we are very excited about it! We are now looking for our second teammate. Is that you?
We don't care how much experience, level of formal education or certifications you might have or not.
You might be an 'absolute beginner' or someone who has survived many hammer blows for Accessibility.
You might be a self-learner or someone who invested in having your knowledge and skills formally certified.
You might know each of the Web Content Guidelines by heart, or you might just be tearing your hair apart when trying to get your head around them.
You might be someone who still needs to learn a lot from your own mistakes or a wise teammate that everyone approaches for those lightbulb moments that open all the gates.
What we care about is your commitment to Digital Inclusion and Accessibility. As the second teammate, you will have the very important mission of helping us to build solid foundations and setting up the structure for a self-service model. You will help to increase our team's capacity and open opportunities for others to join us.
You'll have the following responsibilities
At BT, Accessibility is everyone’s responsibility, you will be helping us with setting up a self-service model.
• You will be helping our colleagues to acquire the skills and knowledge they need to create online products that meet level AA of WCAG as a minimum
• You will be participating on early design reviews and providing guidance on Accessibility
• You will be helping with running drop-in sessions and training
• You will help connecting Product and Content Designers as well as Engineers, so that the whole team works together finding solutions towards creating brilliant digital experience to all
• You will be collaborating with Researchers to ensure that we include disabled participants in our research sessions
• You will be helping with documenting our team’s efforts, tracking progress and identifying trends and areas that need more attention
• a resilient teammate with plenty of patience and determination
• Someone with a "Yes, we can!" attitude
• Someone who bounces back after any setback
• Someone who can bring their authentic self to work
• Someone who can show the power of innovation behind Accessibility
• Someone who knows that there is always a solution for every problem
• Someone who is always looking for opportunities to engage our colleagues with Accessibility earlier in their projects
• Someone who can analyse and make use of qualitative and quantative data to demonstrate the value of Accessibility
• Someone who can empower our colleagues with the confidence to discover solutions by themselves
• Someone who can lift others up and not afraid of making mistakes
• Someone who is good at prioritising and look at what brings more value with less effort
• Someone who can work independently but who also values transparency and has the willingness to get others involved
You'll have the following skills & experience
• Understanding of Digital accessibility standards and guidelines, including WCAG and ARIA
• Experience working with Jira and Deque tools would be desirable
• A broader experience working on other areas of digital such as Research, Design, Content and Development would also be desirable
At BT, we entertain, educate and empower millions of people every single day. We’re a brand built on connecting people – whether that’s friends, family, businesses or communities. Working here, you’ll receive an attractive salary and a range of competitive benefits, but – more than that – you’ll be joining an ambitious organisation with a culture of togetherness, collaboration and inclusivity, that takes a genuine and proactive interest in your progress and development. Benefits of working for BT include:
- Competitive salary and on-target bonus plan
- World-class training and development opportunities
- 25 days’ annual leave (not including bank holidays)
- Discounted broadband, mobile and TV packages
- Share option and pension scheme programmes
- Flexible benefits to fit around you
BT is an equal opportunities employer. We’re working hard to create an inclusive working environment, where people from all backgrounds can succeed. We want to make sure your recruitment experience is the best it can be – so, if you’re selected for an interview, please let us know if there’s any adjustments we can make that would be helpful for you.
BT has a key role in British society, fostering change and leading technology innovation. From delivering the Olympics, to supporting the emergency services, to investing more into research than any other UK technology company, we take pride in everything we do - and in the people who work here.
We're now a global company operating at the forefront of the information age, employing 90,000 people in 180 countries. And we're on a mission. Guided by our core values of Personal, Simple and Brilliant our goal is to help customers, communities and businesses overcome barriers and release their potential.
So, if you're interested in the power of potential, why not join us today and release yours? You can read more here about what it's like to work at BT
How to Apply
It's easy to apply online; you just need a copy of your up-to-date CV and to follow the step-by step process. Don't worry if you need to make changes - you'll have the opportunity to review and edit your work on the final page. We look forward to receiving your application!
Salary Range: $35000 - $55000