Web Accessibility Programmer
Michigan Technological University
Job Description Summary
Public research institution Michigan Technological University is hiring a web accessibility programmer for its digital services team.
The web accessibility programmer will work within the University Marketing and Communications digital services team to maintain usability, customize functionality, participate in redesigns, and perform ongoing technical maintenance of websites across the mtu.edu domain and subdomains by ensuring that code, functionality, and user experience meets industry standards for accessibility.
The web accessibility programmer will participate in the University’s Accessible Technology Working Group (ATWG) and will assist in implementing the accessible technology policy and supporting procedures. The ideal candidate is someone passionate about providing equal access to online information.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
1. Work with Digital Services team and other web teams on campus in reviewing Michigan Tech webpages for consistency, accuracy, accessibility, and compliance while ensuring future viability and continuous improvement. Consult with all areas of campus on accessibility as needed.
2. Ensure that created code follows industry standards and is in compliance for accessibility.
3. Participate in University’s Accessible Technology Working Group (ATWG).
4. Create and promote accessible web-based applications and pages that are consistent with Michigan Tech’s integrated marketing/branding program.
5. Modify pre-existing code, create custom code, and work with API’s and open source while documenting work to industry standards.
6. Assess the technical parameters of a project and give feedback on viability and timing estimates.
7. Prototype, test and debug HTML and CSS styles for custom modules, pages, and projects.
9. Support an environment of team trust.
10. Commit to learning about continuous improvement strategies and applying them to everyday work. Actively engage in University continuous improvement initiatives.
11. Apply safety‐related knowledge, skills, and practices to everyday work.
12. Functional supervision may be exercised over technical team members, student web programmers, and others involved in the development and maintenance of the Michigan Tech website.
13. Other duties as assigned.
Required Education (minimum requirements)
• Bachelor’s degree in computer science, management information systems, computer engineering, or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired.
Required Experience (minimum requirements)
• One year of professional (post-graduate) experience in using and interpreting WCAG 2.0 AA web accessibility standards.
• Three years of professional experience interpreting and applying W3C standards.
• Three years of professional experience using HTML and CSS.
Desirable Education and/or Experience
• Three years of experience in web/web application programming using PHP.
• Expertise with Ajax.
• Experience in WordPress management and development.
• Experience working in an academic environment.
• Demonstrated knowledge of CMS theory.
• Experience in using and interpreting other web standards (schema.org, AMP pages, etc).
• Experience with OU Campus CMS.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities (minimum requirements)
• Demonstrated ability and skill to analyze and correct coding, apply creativity and imagination to problem solving, and instruct users in technical applications.
• Demonstrated ability to understand customer needs, provide quality service, persuasively present ideas, and commit to customer satisfaction.
• Demonstrated ability to work well in a fast-paced environment, work independently, and thrive on challenges.
• Excellent interpersonal and oral/written communication skills.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities
• Highly self-motivated, capable of prioritizing multiple tasks in a proactive manner, meeting deadlines, and displaying attention to detail.
• Strong interest in the Internet and desire to learn new technologies.
Language, Mathematical, and/or Reasoning Skills
Work Environment and/or Physical Demands
Required Training and Other Conditions of Employment
Every employee at Michigan Technological University will receive the following 3 required trainings; additional training may be required by the department.
Required University Training:
• Employee Safety Overview
• Anti-Harassment, Discrimination, Retaliation Training
• Annual Data Security Training
Offers of employment are contingent upon and not considered finalized until the required background check has been performed and the results received and assessed.
Salary Range: $55000 - $55000