Accessibility Conversion Specialist
State of Arizona
The DES Office of Communications is seeking an experienced and highly motivated individual to join our team as an Accessibility Conversion Specialist. This position is responsible for streamlining the design and accessibility procedures necessary for the remediation of files for Section 508 and/or the compliance of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
- Work with the Graphics and Design team to convert and develop instructional and accessible content including DES forms and reports to ADA accessible format. The specialist will need to have the ability to develop and design, and to solve problems while being as accurate and efficient as possible.
- Convert content on the internet and intranet websites, work on content development for materials utilized in a wide range of channels/media including social, web and interactive outreach.
- Assist with web and mobile accessibility and user testing of digital products, web pages, email, slide shows and infographics. Responsible for combining and manipulating PDFs in Adobe Acrobat (e.g., insert and delete PDF pages as well as add bookmarks and hyperlinks for navigability).
- Work with the Public Information Officers (PIOs) to ensure a universal experience in the distribution of internal messaging including graphics, emails, Adobe Spark web pages and infographics while maintaining the visual elements necessary for effective communication.
- Be responsible for streamlining the design and accessibility procedures necessary for the remediation of files for Section 508 and/or the compliance of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs):
- Knowledge of the Americans with Disability Act of 1990 and the ADA Amendments Act of 2008.
- Knowledge of Sections 504 and 508 or the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.
- Knowledge of assistive computer technologies for individuals who are blind, low vision, deaf and hard of hearing, and/or have cognitive disabilities (e.g., JAWS, Voiceover, Dragon Naturally Speaking, Zoomtext etc.).
- Knowledge of state and national standards and guidelines which apply to equal access to electronic media and/or technology and provision standards and web and mobile accessibility including WCAG 2.0 and WAI-ARIA guidelines.
- Strong organizational and project management skills.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Skill in web development and graphic design.
- Strong customer service, research and analytical skills.
- Skills in work management, multitasking, prioritizing, and decision-making.
- Take written material and effectively convert it to be accessible to all individuals with disabilities.
- Form professional interpersonal relationships with all levels of the agency as well as being able to communicate with department leaders and staff members at all levels of the organization.
- Bachelor's Degree in digital media, communications, graphic design, or related field.
- At least 3 years of web development and/or web design experience.
- One year of experience converting and print media into ADA accessible format.
- Travel may be required for State business. Employees who drive on state business must complete any required driver training (see Arizona Administrative Code R2-10-207.12.) AND have an acceptable driving record in accordance with DES Fleet Management-Safety Program policy and procedures (DES 1-07-26 & DES 1-07-26-01). Employees may be required to use their own transportation as well as maintaining valid motor vehicle insurance and current Arizona vehicle registration; however, mileage will be reimbursed.
The Department of Economic Security offers a comprehensive benefits package to include:
- Sick leave
- Vacation with 10 paid holidays per year
- Health and dental insurance
- Retirement plan
- Life insurance and long-term disability insurance
- Optional employee benefits include short-term disability insurance, deferred compensation plans, and supplemental life insurance
Positions in this classification participate in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS).
Please note, enrollment eligibility will become effective after 27 weeks of employment.